This Page

has been moved to new address

A Sweet Treat Ski to Avalanche Lake Celebrated with Fireworks!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Adirondack Lifestyle ™: A Sweet Treat Ski to Avalanche Lake Celebrated with Fireworks!

Sunday, February 06, 2011

A Sweet Treat Ski to Avalanche Lake Celebrated with Fireworks!

Caramel Cliffs on the way to Avalanche Lake in the Adirondacks.
Yesterday will go down in my Adirondack outdoor record book as one of the most memorable. A delightful ski trip to Avalanche Lake in perfect conditions was celebrated by my first Adirondack thunder and lightning snow storm last night. I’ve been told this type of weather phenomena has occurred here in the Adirondacks in the last 25 years, but I missed it.

I am glad I caught it last night; it was extremely interesting and wild. The temperature was quite moderate compared to recent trends: twenty-seven degrees at night is rather warm for the Adirondacks in early February. The storm itself blew in quickly and dropped about 6 inches of heavy wet snow and then switched to sleet and then some kind of snow pellets, which is when the lightning and thunder started. The lightning lit up the sky which reflected off the snow covered ground for an iridescent effect. A thunderclap followed each flash whose reverberations seemed to shake the house. By early morning, heavy snow had tapered to flurries. It was a cool weather experience with excellent implications for backcountry ski conditions.

Some unnamed crack on Mt. Colden remains bare rock.
This brings me to the backcountry trip report. Yesterday’s excursion to Avalanche Lake revealed very good conditions with fresh snow and good coverage. The few rocks and log stairs I noticed were easily avoided and probably taken care of by last night’s 10 inches of heavy snow. It was a glorious day. Although I’ve skied this 10-mile round-trip route countless times before, it never gets old. The stunning scenery and effects of nature on the soul are always good and always different.
The snow-frosted, caramel colored ice inspires confection comparison.

 Please enjoy the photographic Avalanche Lake trip report!


These icicles look more like a snotgurgle cave than a candy store.

Destination Avalanche Lake was a great sunny spot for lunch and bundling up for the fun return downhill.
 Quote from the trail, “There is nothing else I’d rather be doing.” Agreed.

9 Comments:

Blogger Oz said...

What a trip. I bet that storm was something to behold.

2/06/2011 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Jess/Towns and Trails said...

One of the most memorable trips, indeed. Thanks for being such great tour guides on our first backcountry ski excursion. Seriously good times.

2/07/2011 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Greg said...

Thanks for the post Joanne! I'm not actually sure if that is the Trap Dike. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's it. I don't recall bare rock on the looker's left, and also recall the wall being much more sheer on the looker's right. Thanks in any case though! Great pic. Is that definitely from the avalanche lake area?

2/07/2011 10:05 PM  
Blogger Joann said...

I was standing on the Avalanche Lake itself with the camera pointed at Mt. Colden, so yes, I believe that is definitely from the Avalanche Lake area.
I think that is the trap dike, but I'll admit there was no consensus in our ski group.

2/08/2011 6:07 AM  
Anonymous Greg said...

Ok thanks. I thought maybe it was a photo organization snafu, and maybe the photo posted came from somewhere else by accident.

The only thing is, it just doesn't look like a photo I took of the Dike this past summer. I have more trees on the left than your photo... In any case thanks!

2/08/2011 10:56 AM  
Blogger Joann said...

Hey Greg, no problem, you are most welcome. A photo snafu is certainly a possibility, but this time I was paying attention!
So's you know, my husband, the resident DEC biologist, agrees with you and says I didn't go far enough south on the lake in order to photograph the trap dike, and he's seen it a lot more than me.
You realize I now have to go skiing to Avalanche Lake again very soon so we can solve this!!

2/08/2011 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Greg said...

Oh NO! The horror ;)

2/08/2011 11:51 AM  
Blogger Dave/Towns and Trails said...

Looking at other photos of the Dike now, that definitely doesn't look like it. Can you image if we tried to climb it and listened to me? I would have felt pretty bad when we got stuck at the top of whatever crack that is. :)

This was so much fun. Can't wait for the next adventure with you guys!

2/08/2011 11:10 PM  
Blogger Joann said...

Well, I guess I learned my lesson (again!) -listen to Ed!
Glad you guys had fun Jess and Dave - you are welcome!
Joann

2/09/2011 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home